Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Of interest to all who served with 55 FST & those interested in military history
02-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Of interest to all who served with 55 FST & those interested in military history
Many of you will have seen Bill de Bass' 55 FST website. The attach story gives more historical background to the campaign

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Dhofar War John McKeown Full.pdf (Size: 1.04 MB / Downloads: 8)
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2014, 12:38 PM
RE: Of interest to all who served with 55 FST & those interested in military history
(02-28-2014 02:16 PM)Les Viner Wrote:  Many of you will have seen Bill de Bass' 55 FST website. The attach story gives more historical background to the campaign

Hi Les...away this weekend so will have a read of the article (111 pages) on return. I came across the article below on the net which may be of some interest. It would appear that '5' is the magic number when referring to FSTs. We (spring 71) were 51, then composite teams emerged as 55. PFA did two tours as 55 .....info from Pete Coombe:

23 PFA did indeed send an FST out to the Oman/Salalah. In fact they deployed an FST twice. The first was at the height of the fighting and our record was over 24 hrs non stop surgery. The second was during the closing stages of the war and was “hearts and minds” surgery plus the odd injury and RTA. Exact dates I will have to research and as for the FST numbers I only recall using the same one, which I believe was 55!

Regards

Peter C

British units serving in Oman & Dhofar 1970 - 1975
http://britains-smallwars.com/Desert_song/omanunits.html#army

Royal Army Medical Corps
555 Field Surgical Team RAMC

C Section 24 Field Ambulance RAMC, Serving a 9 months tour in Trucial Oman States (Arab Emerates) March to December 1970, Section sent to Salalah in August 1970 We were the first Medical Team in as part of the hearts and minds initiative. Capt Dornan, Sgt Sid Carter, L/Cpl Taff Baker L/CPL Spike Meadows, Pte Pat Dubridge Pte Scouse Milot, We started the Clinic in Salalah Town. Very primitive conditions.
We were surprised to see the Town surrounded by barbed wire, it became apparent the previous Sultan used this to keep the people in. The Clinic was two unfinished buildings with zero amenities,excluding the local witch doctor there had been no facilities, Tuberculosis was rife,injuries and illness had been left untreated. We did our best,but were overwhelmed,out dated or non existent medical supplies. It got worse before it got better. The population had not been allowed motorised vehicles hence no Tarmac. when being confronted with oncoming trucks it became a game of chicken as no one new which side of the track to drive on.
In Dec 1970 a RAF Surgical Team took over the clinic to do some long awaited operations etc. Back in Sharjah on our Debrief,under strict instructions to say nothing, basically told we had'nt been there. When I later applied for the Dhofar Clasp I was informed no records existed of me ever leaving Sharjah. After a long battle with Army Records and thanks to Capt Dornans Diary we were finally awarded the Clasp in 1988. I sometimes wonder what else went on unrecorded? Steve(Spike)Meadows.

As far as being told we hadn't been there...did other teams get told in the pre deployment 'brief' to take all M&S (Jewish company) labels out of clothing...(didn't think the QM did M&S clothing) or was it only us?

It would be interesting to find out who is still about from that 555 team (I will ask Mick McCran if he has any on record with RAMC Reunited) from the article above it would appear that OTTs were not required in that FST.....I don't recognize any of the names above as OTTs...what was all our training for if MAs (now CMTs of course) could do the job equally as well....controversial point or not Huh

Regards
Ken
Find all posts by this user
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: Of interest to all who served with 55 FST & those interested in military history
Hi Ken,
23 PFA left SALALA for the last time on the 29th June 1976 I know this to be true because was the NCO in charge of the team that took over from them, and they put on a great party to welcome us.

Regard
Ron