No 0% 0 0%
Total 2 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Future of RAMC Museum
01-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Future of RAMC Museum
You may have heard a recent rumour that the RAMC museum at Keough Barracks, or more accurately outside the gates of the barracks is under threat of closure. I can't give you any more details than this as I don't know the facts but a recent communication from Mick McCran suggested this might happen. If this is the case I'm suggesting that we as OTT Reunited should do everything in our power to ensure that the museum continues in one form or another. I really must applaud the sterling and dedicated work done by Pete Starling and his team to make it one of the leading museums of its kind. Many of us will have made donated precious items to the museum where they will have been archived and preserved for future generations and for research. I donated a picture of my Grandfather recovering from his would inflicted at the battle of Ypres in world War One. He was an "Old Contemptible" and at that time serving with the Rifle Brigade. Although he received a neck would which left him with a permanent slight stoop he was not discharged and fought in seven other WW1 battles. He was recalled to the colours in WW2 and served in the Royal Engineers. The picture was taken in an advanced dressing station just outside of the front line before being evacuated back to blighty. For the future many of us may wish to donate our own personal memorials which would otherwise be easily lost or sold within one or two generations. The museum would be a safe refuge for these articles especially if they were accompanied by
good provenance. I would be interested in other members comments and suggestions. Please add any to this thread and don't start a new one unless it is clearly a new subject. Kind regards,
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 12:54 AM
RE: Future of RAMC Museum
Good idea Les.

Bob Sheppard
Find all posts by this user
01-08-2014, 02:38 PM
(01-08-2014 12:54 AM)robertwilliam1@sky.com Wrote:  Good idea Les.

Bob Sheppard

Ditto
01-08-2014, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2014 11:42 PM by administrator.)
(01-08-2014 02:38 PM)peter haynes Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 12:54 AM)robertwilliam1@sky.com Wrote:  Good idea Les.

Bob Sheppard

Ditto

It would be great if we could get some real history on the formation of FSTs with photos - we have a few pics of theatres from Korea onwards but nothing prior to that either relating to General or Field hospitals. I will ask Pete if there is anything in the archives at Keogh which we could copy when I next speak to him.

Sadly (or otherwise) I'm from an RAF background (don't ask) so things medical are not part of my families treasures....although I do have a match box holder circ WW1 (rather old) with Corps badge on it.

I hope all went well on Monday Les?

Regards
Ken
01-09-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi Ken, that's a really good idea about pictures pre Korea may be we can ask our members and their families to do a trawl of their archives I expect Barry might be a good source. Monday went quite well thanks.
01-16-2014, 11:23 AM
(01-07-2014 10:54 AM)Les Viner Wrote:  You may have heard a recent rumour that the RAMC museum at Keough Barracks, or more accurately outside the gates of the barracks is under threat of closure. I can't give you any more details than this as I don't know the facts but a recent communication from Mick McCran suggested this might happen. If this is the case I'm suggesting that we as OTT Reunited should do everything in our power to ensure that the museum continues in one form or another. I really must applaud the sterling and dedicated work done by Pete Starling and his team to make it one of the leading museums of its kind. Many of us will have made donated precious items to the museum where they will have been archived and preserved for future generations and for research. I donated a picture of my Grandfather recovering from his would inflicted at the battle of Ypres in world War One. He was an "Old Contemptible" and at that time serving with the Rifle Brigade. Although he received a neck would which left him with a permanent slight stoop he was not discharged and fought in seven other WW1 battles. He was recalled to the colours in WW2 and served in the Royal Engineers. The picture was taken in an advanced dressing station just outside of the front line before being evacuated back to blighty. For the future many of us may wish to donate our own personal memorials which would otherwise be easily lost or sold within one or two generations. The museum would be a safe refuge for these articles especially if they were accompanied by
good provenance. I would be interested in other members comments and suggestions. Please add any to this thread and don't start a new one unless it is clearly a new subject. Kind regards,

Further to my last thread posting - Please see below a copy of a message from Mick McCran which was published on facebook
A few weeks ago I placed a thread in this group which related to the "Future of the AMS Museum." Following its publication, I was made aware of the full facts surrounding the Museum’s future and requested the Group Administrator to remove the thread, which he did. I was enlightened to the work being carried out by Museum Board of Trustees and also the “Friends of the AMS Museum” and requested through the AMS Museum any information relating to the “Friends of the AMS Museum.”

I have now received this information in the format of the enclosed Museum Newsletter Issue 2 and applications form for Bankers Standing Order for Annual Subscription and also Gift Declaration Form.

Your help is much needed and by becoming a friend of the Museum, you will be contributing to the maintenance and future development of the Museum, including the acquisition of the most favourable location for the Museum to continue its work.

Please give your support to this very worthwhile cause. I ask that you circulate this information to as many ex members of the Army Medical Services.

Kind regards

Mick
FRIENDS OF THE AMS MUSEUM.pdf · ver

Also please see attachment regarding the AMS Museum Charity.

I would like to suggest we adopt the AMS MUseum as one of our charities for the 2015 reunion. Les
02-18-2014, 10:19 PM
(01-16-2014 11:23 AM)Les Viner Wrote:  
(01-07-2014 10:54 AM)Les Viner Wrote:  You may have heard a recent rumour that the RAMC museum at Keough Barracks, or more accurately outside the gates of the barracks is under threat of closure. I can't give you any more details than this as I don't know the facts but a recent communication from Mick McCran suggested this might happen. If this is the case I'm suggesting that we as OTT Reunited should do everything in our power to ensure that the museum continues in one form or another. I really must applaud the sterling and dedicated work done by Pete Starling and his team to make it one of the leading museums of its kind. Many of us will have made donated precious items to the museum where they will have been archived and preserved for future generations and for research. I donated a picture of my Grandfather recovering from his would inflicted at the battle of Ypres in world War One. He was an "Old Contemptible" and at that time serving with the Rifle Brigade. Although he received a neck would which left him with a permanent slight stoop he was not discharged and fought in seven other WW1 battles. He was recalled to the colours in WW2 and served in the Royal Engineers. The picture was taken in an advanced dressing station just outside of the front line before being evacuated back to blighty. For the future many of us may wish to donate our own personal memorials which would otherwise be easily lost or sold within one or two generations. The museum would be a safe refuge for these articles especially if they were accompanied by

Further to my last thread posting - Please see below a copy of a message from Mick McCran which was published on facebook
A few weeks ago I placed a thread in this group which related to the "Future of the AMS Museum." Following its publication, I was made aware of the full facts surrounding the Museum’s future and requested the Group Administrator to remove the thread, which he did. I was enlightened to the work being carried out by Museum Board of Trustees and also the “Friends of the AMS Museum” and requested through the AMS Museum any information relating to the “Friends of the AMS Museum.”

I have now received this information in the format of the enclosed Museum Newsletter Issue 2 and applications form for Bankers Standing Order for Annual Subscription and also Gift Declaration Form.

Your help is much needed and by becoming a friend of the Museum, you will be contributing to the maintenance and future development of the Museum, including the acquisition of the most favourable location for the Museum to continue its work.

Please give your support to this very worthwhile cause. I ask that you circulate this information to as many ex members of the Army Medical Services.

Kind regards

Mick
FRIENDS OF THE AMS MUSEUM.pdf · ver

Also please see attachment regarding the AMS Museum Charity.

I would like to suggest we adopt the AMS MUseum as one of our charities for the 2015 reunion. Les

Just a quick question: does the museum receive any monies from the broadcasting organisations that seek information about RAMC involvement in wars etc.? Simple example, Michael Portillo interviwed Pete about Netley Hospital on the Bradshaws Round Britain railway journeys series of programmes. Clearly there will have been many other such occasions over the years.