Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Post Op Update
06-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Post Op Update
Dear Brothers & Sisters,

I'm so grateful for your message of support, cards and personal visits when I was in hospital it's only when your are facing a major crisis in your life you really appreciate the value of an organisation such as OTT Reunited. It's amazing how the members rally around. I'm have now been home for 3 weeks and thought I owe you all an update.

I had my main operation on the 29th April, which took 11 1/2 hrs. The tumor was slightly larger than my Consultant was expecting and he had to take more of the diaphragm than he had planned. However he sewed it up leaving it looking pink and healthy. He got it all (awaiting histology confirmation). I was out of ICU in 4 days. Everything was going well except I was putting out up to 2 1/2 liters of fluid from the Robertson Drain a day. After putting 250 mls of double whipped cream down my NG tube it was clear lymph fluid was leaking from somewhere. I was back in theatre within the hour for a second thorocotomy which sorted the leak our completely. My fitness levels and sheer hard work avoided a post op chest infection (which has a risk factor of 25%) helped me through. The combination of a highly skilled surgical team, 1st class nursing support, one to one Physio twice a day and unbelievable support from family, friends and the RAMC theatre family; saw me home on the 17th May. I had a minor blip over the bank holiday with a few rigors, but with support of my GP and good nursing from my wife I soon picked up.
I'm walking about 1/2 mile a day and with Janet's community nursing skills able to wash and dress myself. I'm able to eat quite well, and keeping a careful eye on my weight. As usual I feel I can do more than I actually can but the body sends you a clear message if you get. ( Don't tell Ian Blakey or Ricky Allison I'm back on my turbo trainer, albeit for no more than 10 minutes a day and in a very low gear).

I plan to see you all at the next reunion in 2015 and with a bit of luck I may be able to pop in to the next P&P: it's going to be some time before they will allow me booze - maybe never. Small price to pay for your life! Once again, thank you all for your support, calls, visits etc. Do please feel free to call me anytime for a quick chat.

With best wishes & kind regards,

Les
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 11:55 AM
RE: Post Op Update
Hi Les

TURBO TRAINER! wait till I pop over next I'll dismantle it mate!

Take it easy Bro, see you soon

Ian
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Hi Les,

Been away for ten days but received lots of message on my return from the troops to say they have been in touch (both ways) and the vibes are good.

Glad to hear that you are moving forward...well at least on that mobility scooter!!!....Lin says I should get one!!!

As for the half mile walk...better than me any day...take care, best wishes to you and nurse Janet....get well and we WILL see you at the pint and pie weekend you me and bash Ahmed can be the non drinkers amongst a gang of £$%^&*!!! say no more...........

Take care
Regards
Ken
Find all posts by this user
06-07-2014, 12:47 AM
It really pleases me to see you on the mend Les...keep up the good progress.
If you ever need a few days by the seaside......I'm here in Talacre you are both welcome any time.
Stay Lucky my friend.