Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Who Are You?
06-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Who Are You?
Maybe I'm just getting old, maybe I'm just conforming to the rules after all these years, maybe I'm just suspicious. The request was made that people joining us on this site, should use real names. When I see ID's, such as our newest member, I wonder what the hell that person has to hide by not registering in their real name. Does the webmaster or whoever, actually verify these people?

Does it really matter might be the question. I thinks so. Many sites are invaded by outsiders who may just have a hidden agenda by joining sites under a pseudonym.

Just saying.....that's all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2014, 11:47 AM
RE: Who Are You?
Hi Pete,

You are quite right to question these current registrations and it's nice to see that members are taking notice and yes is does matter.

As the Administrator of this Forum I check and vet every single registration and the IP Address of the registration. I also check to see if that IP Address is on the "Black book" Spam/Hacker Watch list.

All but one the the recent registrations has been identified as Spam or Hacker and they are instantly removed. I would also like to reassure members that security software is in place on this Forum and we are doing our very best to keep this Forum Spam and Hacker free.

The last genuine registration was: "Viper1766" (Registration not yet activated) we have contacted the person and explained that they need to register in their given name and we are waiting a reply to change their registration details.

Thank you Pete for posting this subject one which all members will benefit from, we take the Security of our members and Forum very seriously and we are doing our very best to keep it a safe and Spam free site.

Ian

Administrator
06-04-2014, 01:51 PM
(06-04-2014 11:47 AM)administrator Wrote:  Hi Pete,

You are quite right to question these current registrations and it's nice to see that members are taking notice and yes is does matter.

As the Administrator of this Forum I check and vet every single registration and the IP Address of the registration. I also check to see if that IP Address is on the "Black book" Spam/Hacker Watch list.

All but one the the recent registrations has been identified as Spam or Hacker and they are instantly removed. I would also like to reassure members that security software is in place on this Forum and we are doing our very best to keep this Forum Spam and Hacker free.

The last genuine registration was: "Viper1766" (Registration not yet activated) we have contacted the person and explained that they need to register in their given name and we are waiting a reply to change their registration details.

Thank you Pete for posting this subject one which all members will benefit from, we take the Security of our members and Forum very seriously and we are doing our very best to keep it a safe and Spam free site.

Ian

Administrator

Thanks Ian
06-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi Pete,

Just back from being away for ten days so catching up on 'stuff'.

Further to Ian's reply. I send a message to the individual concerned (who has not registered correctly) via a PM or email via their profile page...unless of course there is nil in that box....the current one showing is viper etc...their is no PM or email contact in that box so it will be deleted (yet to contact Ian) unless Ian can confirm otherwise.

The message is a bulk standard one basically saying come back with a Given name or we will delete your registration - the amendment is done automatically.

I am about to send all on the OTT Reunited database who have not registered as yet a message asking them to do so - only half those on the database have registered on the Forum.

Horses to water and all that.

Take care, speak soon
Ken

PS Hope the radio show is going from strength to strength?
06-04-2014, 04:33 PM
(06-04-2014 04:05 PM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  Hi Pete,

Just back from being away for ten days so catching up on 'stuff'.

Further to Ian's reply. I send a message to the individual concerned (who has not registered correctly) via a PM or email via their profile page...unless of course there is nil in that box....the current one showing is viper etc...their is no PM or email contact in that box so it will be deleted (yet to contact Ian) unless Ian can confirm otherwise.

The message is a bulk standard one basically saying come back with a Given name or we will delete your registration - the amendment is done automatically.

I am about to send all on the OTT Reunited database who have not registered as yet a message asking them to do so - only half those on the database have registered on the Forum.

Horses to water and all that.

Take care, speak soon
Ken

PS Hope the radio show is going from strength to strength?

Thanks for that Ken. Yes, radio shows Mondays and Tuesdays going well, audience research shows good audience levels for the station.....including my shows oddly enough. Your question is a timely one. I am arranging for an interview with Mick Naya about a new book he has written, about Pierre. I am also, later today, signing up with another station, to present more shows weekly. It's also an internet station, with established audiences around the world, providing a service to Forces Veterans. More news of that another day.
06-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Hi Pete,

Was aware of Mick's forthcoming book - a great tribute to Pierre.

You seem to be doing (or saying) the right things then re the radio....there could be a vacancy coming up on the ITV morning show when it goes T**t* up ...don't work tooooo hard old boy...note old...but young at heart eh?

Take care
Regards
Ken