Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The late Jim Hardiman
12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
The late Jim Hardiman
Dear all,

Not a good seven days for OTTs and the Corps - another man down.

An old friend and colleague, Jim Hardiman, has sadly passed away following a long battle with cancer.

I have just received a card from Barbara, Jim's wife, notifying me of his passing. .

His condition worsened in October when it was found that the disease had spread to his liver. He passed away last month.

Unfortunately Jim and Barbara were not on the internet so contact has been sporadic hence the delay in notification.

His was the first name to be recorded on the OTT Reunited database some 10 years ago.

It was a sad moment deleting his name from the database but he will be remembered by us as his name will be included on the 'In Memoriam' page of the OTT Reunited website.

Jim joined the army as a 13 year old bugle boy in the Hampshire Regiment. When of age he joined the RAMC and trained as an OTT. I served in BMH Rinteln and the CMH with Jim.

He was a quiet unassuming man but good at his job and a good friend to all that new him. His main hobby was course fishing - which he was brilliant at.

It was most annoying sitting next to him on the bank with your float next to his and the fish just being reeled in by Jim and you with nothing!

He was diagnosed with a bad back in the 70s (theatre work?). It was then 'we' learnt about a War Pension. He told 'us' about it and that's when 'we' learnt that they... 'the powers that be'.... would send you cheques for substantial amounts and then final a pension.

So take heed, if you have sustained an injury and it is recorded on your docs - put in a claim - it is your right.... Jim's legacy to you.

RIP James
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply