Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Late Dave Armour
11-30-2017, 11:01 PM
The Late Dave Armour
Dear All,

It is with great personal sadness that I have to inform you of the passing of a true gentleman, a fine OTT and a great character, Dave Armour.

Dave’s daughter Mandy informed me this evening that Dave sadly passed away in hospital near his home in Queensland, Australia following a six-month battle with lung cancer.

Dave was diagnosed with type 4 lung cancer in May and following chemo and other treatments he developed pneumonia and passed away peacefully on Tuesday (28th November).

Dave’s funeral will be held on the 8th December 2017.

I’ve known Dave for 47 years. He was one of the best, a true gentleman and a fun guy. His cousin was the late Don Green who many old and bold will remember.

We served together at the CMH and were both deployed to Oman in 1971 with 51 FST.

Under pressure and bombardment, he was the coolest amongst us. In one instance when we came under attack he was sitting in a deck chair (it was a quiet day until then). As we all dropped everything and ran for cover Dave folded up his chair and causally walked to our dugout!

Dave was subsequently posted to BMH Singapore where he met his wife to be Kris, an Australian army nurse serving there during the Vietnam war. They subsequently married and he left the British Army and moved to Australian and joined the RAAMC.

Following a serious RTA on a motor cycle his injuries were such that his future in the RAAMC was in doubt but as he was highly thought of he was allowed to remained in their Corps and moved on to regimental duties. He attained the rank of Warrant Officer.

Many years ago, another member of 51 FST, Dave Gault (Lab Tech), was lucky enough to be selected for Exercise Long Look and was sent to the RAAMC base in Townsville, Australian (Aussie Aldershot). On informing the guard who he was and telling them that he had to report to the Orderly Sgt. The Ord Sgt that day was none other than his old friend Dave Armour - these two guys not only served together but also sleep next to each other in the same barrack room at the CMH. We do indeed live in a very small world.

Dave came over to the UK a couple of years ago and Lin and I met up with him and Kris for lunch, the years just drifted away. The world became even smaller as Dave’s daughter Mandy (who they were visiting at the time) lives just four miles away from our own daughter Sarah in Suffolk - unknown to us prior to their visit.

Dave will not be forgotten and his name will be recorded on the OTT Reunited website ‘In Memoriam’ page.

I will send Kris and family a condolence card on behalf of all at OTT Reunited and his wider Corps family.

RIP my friend

Regards
Ken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
The Late Dave Armour
Ian Brandon (a fellow OTT and friend of Dave's who now lives in Queensland) will be attending Dave's funeral on Friday and has kindly agreed to represent the members of OTT Reunited and the Corps. Maj (Rtd) Keven Ellis RAAMC will be reading the eulogy which will include details of Dave's service in the RAMC and as an OTT.

Ken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply