Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
What are you all doing now?
01-17-2014, 10:59 PM
What are you all doing now?
Thought it would be interesting to start a discussion on what we are all doing now. i left the mob in 1994 , moved to Canada had several jobs , drove freezer lorries for a while before ending up as a Parts Advisor at a large Toyota dealer , moved back to UK in 2007 ,ended up back in my hometown of Dorking,Surrey . Worked for several years as a storeman at Johnston Sweepers , a road sweeper manufacturer , now have my dream job , i am a storeman for SouthWest Trains at the Wimbledon Traincare Depot , i work a four on four off shift rotating between days and nights , hence i get plenty of time to browse this site, for those that know me , i am still married to Anne , 29 years as of Dec 2014. So whats everyone else been up to?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2014, 02:34 PM
RE: What are you all doing now?
HI, I came out in 1983 and worked initially as a deputy HSDU manager in a newly commissioned hospital in Huntingdon. My Boss was a nice guy (ex German POW) but bone idle. Within 18 mths I becam manager of the HSDU in Grimsby. Afetr 3 yrs I had also Hull, Castle Hill and Delepole departments as well. NHS refused to increase my pay so I quit. Became works Director for Rocialle Medical Cambridge for a couple of years then worked for the audit commission looking at sterile supplies. Finally I took a job as practice manager to a very large surgey in Boston and under the GPFH era saved so much money I built an extension which included an operating theatre. I stayed for 23 yrs and semi retired at age 68 and now have my own company Turnpike Medical Ltd with a contract to provide day case surgery in primary care. We also provide primary care management services and my fellow director, Ian Blakey, an ex OTT provides the IT expertise and he is the man who created this website.
01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Great post.

I have always been amazed by the diversity of of employments of 'The Boys' following their departure from 'The Trade'. In my own case I left the job and went admin - so after five years of being a shinny arsed officer, going back into the trade was out - technical advance++. On leaving the army I decided having a break was on the cards (6 months off) you could of course go on the dole in those days even though you had a pension etc...then got a job as the Head Porter at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge (RSM of the College to put it in military terms). Stayed a year then resigned...I sacked a pain in the A ex RAF Cpl (long story for Pint & Pie Gig). I left the college after a that - no point in being able to hire if you can't fire - so had a year off instead. Then got a fab job with Cambridgeshire Trading Standards, spent 14 great years there - following diagnoses of aggressive Prostate Ca I was able to apply to take early retirement by applying for Voluntary redundancy...under the circumstance they let me have it...thanks very much...Now well and truly retired...when asked what do you all day.....reply "I don't know but it takes me all day to do it!"...then of course there is the model railway!!!!!

Regards
Ken
01-19-2014, 12:12 AM
(01-18-2014 08:00 PM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  Hi,

Great post.

I have always been amazed by the diversity of of employments of 'The Boys' following their departure from 'The Trade'. In my own case I left the job and went admin - so after five years of being a shinny arsed officer, going back into the trade was out - technical advance++. On leaving the army I decided having a break was on the cards (6 months off) you could of course go on the dole in those days even though you had a pension etc...then got a job as the Head Porter at Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge (RSM of the College to put it in military terms). Stayed a year then resigned...I sacked a pain in the A ex RAF Cpl (long story for Pint & Pie Gig). I left the college after a that - no point in being able to hire if you can't fire - so had a year off instead. Then got a fab job with Cambridgeshire Trading Standards, spent 14 great years there - following diagnoses of aggressive Prostate Ca I was able to apply to take early retirement by applying for Voluntary redundancy...under the circumstance they let me have it...thanks very much...Now well and truly retired...when asked what do you all day.....reply "I don't know but it takes me all day to do it!"...then of course there is the model railway!!!!!

Regards
Ken

Don't get me started on model railways , dad and i have a nice size layout in his garden shed, it is amazing how diverse we have all become ,in 94 i could never have envisaged doing anything other than OTT.
01-21-2014, 11:22 PM
When I came out of the Forces I joined the Liverpool Ambulance Service......tried to continue in the trade but the excitment was not there any more,cant beat an Army Theatre Team.
From Liverpool I moved to the Cheshire Ambulance service were I underwent Paramedic Training.
Retired to Talacre in North Wales were my time is taken up on the golf course....at least 3 times a week....more if I could find the time.
Look forward to OTT and RAMC reunions but | think I'm heading the same way as Ken (PC) tests are ongoing....so fingers crossed.
Going to have to miss the RAMC Adelph reunion but might pop down for the day(Saturday)
01-21-2014, 11:59 PM
(01-21-2014 11:22 PM)PeteH Wrote:  When I came out of the Forces I joined the Liverpool Ambulance Service......tried to continue in the trade but the excitment was not there any more,cant beat an Army Theatre Team.
From Liverpool I moved to the Cheshire Ambulance service were I underwent Paramedic Training.
Retired to Talacre in North Wales were my time is taken up on the golf course....at least 3 times a week....more if I could find the time.
Look forward to OTT and RAMC reunions but | think I'm heading the same way as Ken (PC) tests are ongoing....so fingers crossed.
Going to have to miss the RAMC Adelph reunion but might pop down for the day(Saturday)

Hi Pete,

Good luck with the test...the biopsies up the bum (ouch) I could have done without but a necessary evil! At least you know where you stand....
pun intended...I can't make Adelphi this year due to family commitments.
Hope to see you at the next P&P. Regards Ken
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
(01-21-2014 11:59 PM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 11:22 PM)PeteH Wrote:  When I came out of the Forces I joined the Liverpool Ambulance Service......tried to continue in the trade but the excitment was not there any more,cant beat an Army Theatre Team.

Hi Pete,

Good luck with the test...the biopsies up the bum (ouch) I could have done without but a necessary evil! At least you know where you stand....
pun intended...I can't make Adelphi this year due to family commitments.
Hope to see you at the next P&P. Regards Ken

I've had TRUS biopsy done as well Pete, in some ways waiting for the result was the worse part. All the very best to you mate, I've got my fingers x for you. Les
01-28-2014, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 03:18 PM by Peter Haynes.)
Left the RAMC in June 1987 and took up a post at the National Hospital For Nervous Diseases as CSSD Manager. Moved to The London Hospital, later renamed as Royal London, as District Manager in 1988. Moved to Dartford to work on design and building of new Sterile Services Dept in 1997, then worked with planning team on design and build of new hospital and achieving ISO 13485 standards. Moved on to Bromley Health Care in 2004 as General Manager for Decontamination Services. Retired from NHS in 2008, set up a consultancy, working in Germany and with US investment banks and private health care in India. Also designed SSD's for two private healthcare companies in UK as well as designing training materials.

During all this I was working in commercial radio presenting a variety of different shows. Left that in 1998 as it was impacting on my day job.

Started new job in radio today, 28/1/2014, presenting weekly shows and helping with student training.

Apart from this, as I'm nearly 67, I'm not doing a great deal.
01-30-2014, 11:23 AM
(01-28-2014 09:03 PM)peter haynes Wrote:  Left the RAMC in June 1987 and took up a post at the National Hospital For Nervous Diseases as CSSD Manager. Moved to The London Hospital, later renamed as Royal London, as District Manager in 1988. Moved to Dartford to work on design and building of new Sterile Services Dept in 1997, then worked with planning team on design and build of new hospital and achieving ISO 13485 standards. Moved on to Bromley Health Care in 2004 as General Manager for Decontamination Services. Retired from NHS in 2008, set up a consultancy, working in Germany and with US investment banks and private health care in India. Also designed SSD's for two private healthcare companies in UK as well as designing training materials.

During all this I was working in commercial radio presenting a variety of different shows. Left that in 1998 as it was impacting on my day job.

Started new job in radio today, 28/1/2014, presenting weekly shows and helping with student training.

Nearly 67 Pete!.....life gets much easier at nearly 68!.....it all become much clearer and then you can relax and build a model railway!!!
01-30-2014, 06:39 PM
(01-30-2014 11:23 AM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  
(01-28-2014 09:03 PM)peter haynes Wrote:  Left the RAMC in June 1987 and took up a post at the National Hospital For Nervous Diseases as CSSD Manager. Moved to The London Hospital, later renamed as Royal London, as District Manager in 1988. Moved to Dartford to work on design and building of new Sterile Services Dept in 1997, then worked with planning team on design and build of new hospital and achieving ISO 13485 standards. Moved on to Bromley Health Care in 2004 as General Manager for Decontamination Services. Retired from NHS in 2008, set up a consultancy, working in Germany and with US investment banks and private health care in India. Also designed SSD's for two private healthcare companies in UK as well as designing training materials.

Nearly 67 Pete!.....life gets much easier at nearly 68!.....it all become much clearer and then you can relax and build a model railway!!!

Not sure I have the patience, or space, to build a railway Ken. My span of attention seems to get shorter, so would probably lose interest quite quickly. Thirty minutes on my kindle is about it, how I get through a 2 hour radio show without falling asleep I do not know. Must be the adrenaline that goes with all associated with it like adhering to timings, answering 'phones, bringing the news in on time etc. Anyway, I'll be nearly 68 at this time next year myself!!