• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Merry Christmas one and all.
12-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Merry Christmas one and all.
OTT Reunited
(ottreunited.com)

"Being defeated is a temporary condition - giving up is permanent"
Dear All,

Just a quick personal message to wish all members a very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

And.......

On behalf of Pete Starling (Chairman of OTT Reunited) and myself I would like to thank all those that have supported the group during 2015 especially those that attended the excellent reunion in March, organised by Colin Fairlamb (and his team), the Pint & Pie in November (organised by Jake Marlee) and a special thanks to those members who made personal donations to the OTT Reunited funds - you know who you are.

Hopefully 2016 will boost our membership (especially our younger colleagues) so that we, the only trade group, can go from strength to strength and likewise our brother group RAMC OTTs on Facebook.

Thankfully we haven't 'lost' anyone (so far) this year and hopefully that trend will continue on into 2016. We have of course had a number of members unwell but thankfully they to have come through their issues.

One honorary member, Gen Peter Craig (of whom I informed the group a while ago), had suffered a very nasty fall which left him hospitalised for a number of months. I am happy to report that Gen Peter is currently in a rehab centre and making great progress, he can now talk and walk and he is hoping to be home for Christmas. On behalf of 'The Boys' we wish Gen Peter and Jean all the very best for 2016 and 'we' hope to see them both at the 2017 reunion.

Once again we have organised OTT Reunited Christmas cards for our 'known' widows, sent off this year by Pete Starling. When I ordered the cards this year from Vistaprint they were kind enough to forgo the charges so we acquired the cards for free as a Christmas gift to the group. Thank you Vistaprint.

Looking forward to 2016..... Planning for the 2017 reunion (date and location to be announced at a later date) will have to commence in earnest to ensure that we get a good price in a location that is right for the majority. We will also have to start thinking about naming and confirming attendance of the Guest of Honour.

Likewise organising the next Pint & Pie venue will need to be sorted soonest - a provisional location - note provisional.... has been suggested somewhere in the Derbyshire area - date late May.

A public service message for the New Year..... Cold Calling is on the up and there have been many suggested ways of dealing with that in the past. However internet (website) issues remain a problem such as website applications/bookings/orders etc. Many, if not all, websites ask for a telephone number as a requirement prior to completion of the form etc which we all know will be sold on. The solution - instead of giving your real landline or mobile telephone number, simply enter: 0333 88 88 88 88 - this diverts the caller to a call blocking firm Truecall38 - the message heard by the website company is: "Truecall38 is handling my calls. I prefer not to be contacted by phone"...if the website you are using won't accept the full number drop the last 8. Try it.

I was discussing 2 Fld Hospital on Facebook a few days or so ago - I have subsequently been contacted by a chap called Kevin Henderson (RCT attached to 2 Fld Hosp in the late 70s). Kevin had attached two photos saying that there are some young OTTs in the photographs. One I recognise of course is Gerry Farrell but I don't recognise anyone else......can you? (photos not shown here but on the group email circulated today)

Something to do in your spare time:

During his physical examination, a doctor asked a man about his physical activity level.

He described a typical day this way:

"Well, yesterday afternoon, I took a five hour walk, about 7 km
through some pretty rough terrain.

I waded along the edge of a lake. I pushed my way through
brambles.

I got sand in my shoes and my eyes.

I narrowly avoided standing on 2 snakes.

I climbed several rocky hills.

I took a few 'leaks' behind some big trees.

The mental stress of it all left me shattered

So at the end of it all I drank eight beers"

Inspired by the story, the doctor said,

"Wow, You must be one hell of an outdoors man!"

"No," he replied,

" I'm just a shit golfer".....................you know who you are???

As a possible EU Referendum is due in the not to distant future:

The EU is getting in first..... 'The British Penny - European Union Directive No. 456179'

In order to bring about further integration with the single European currency, the Euro, all citizens of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland must be made aware that the phrase “Spending a Penny” is not to be used after 31 December 2015.

From this date onwards, the correct term will be: 'Euronating' .

It is hoped that this will be a great relief to everyone!

................................................................................​........

On that note I will say goodnight - enjoy the few sleeps left before Santa calls - here's wishing he brings you everything you asked for.

Lin and I are spending Christmas with three grandchildren under the age of 5.............aaaaaaaah! - Bah Humbug..........'Me'..... Never!

Best Wishes
Ken

OTT Reunited
(ottreunited.com)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply