Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Many Thanks - Top Travel Tips
05-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Many Thanks - Top Travel Tips
Dear All,

Many Thanks to all who sent birthday greetings -Smile much appreciated - now hurtling towards 70Sad...only one way of catching up with you Les and I think we will pass on that......just back from a quiet week visiting friends in mid France (Limoges area) - my goodness it is quiet down there you hardly see anyone. Now back to the grindstone tomorrow - grass first.... again!

We went France via Ryan air with hand baggage only:

Travel Tip 1.....to avoid a delay at security make sure you only have 100 ml of fluid in your luggage...100 ml means 'accumulative' not individual bottles...Lin forgot about a bottle of perfume in her bag - subsequently was swabbed for explosives!!

Travel Tip 2....to avoid being put in the 'holding tank' at the airport on return, make sure you have your passport on you when you arrive.

Ryan air will often offer to put your luggage in the hold for free if a lot of hand luggage on board - they did that for me (never again) after going through passport control in France I put my passport in my hand luggage as you do...forgot it was going in the hold (taken off me at the gate)...no passport on me at arrival in Stantead so in to the holding 'tank' went I Blush(cordoned off area in front of passport control)... oh joy - you can imagine the thoughts of the masses passing byDodgy. I had to wait there with two American students (no visas) until Lin got my passport from my bag. Nice (very large) man from border control said to her "We're not a creche but you can leave him there for a bit if you want?Big Grin)..cheers mate.

Be warned!

Right, off for late birthday lunch with family - Take care, Regards Ken
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 09:51 PM
RE: Many Thanks - Top Travel Tips
(05-04-2015 11:54 AM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  Dear All,

Many Thanks to all who sent birthday greetings -Smile much appreciated - now hurtling towards 70Sad...only one way of catching up with you Les and I think we will pass on that......just back from a quiet week visiting friends in mid France (Limoges area) - my goodness it is quiet down there you hardly see anyone. Now back to the grindstone tomorrow - grass first.... again!

Travel Tip 1.....to avoid a delay at security make sure you only have 100 ml of fluid in your luggage...100 ml means 'accumulative' not individual bottles...Lin forgot about a bottle of perfume in her bag - subsequently was swabbed for explosives!!

Travel Tip 2....to avoid being put in the 'holding tank' at the airport on return, make sure you have your passport on you when you arrive.

Ryan air will often offer to put your luggage in the hold for free if a lot of hand luggage on board - they did that for me (never again) after going through passport control in France I put my passport in my hand luggage as you do...forgot it was going in the hold (taken off me at the gate)...no passport on me at arrival in Stantead so in to the holding 'tank' went I Blush(cordoned off area in front of passport control)... oh joy - you can imagine the thoughts of the masses passing byDodgy. I had to wait there with two American students (no visas) until Lin got my passport from my bag. Nice (very large) man from border control said to her "We're not a creche but you can leave him there for a bit if you want?Big Grin)..cheers mate.

Be warned!

So much for "Ryan air" Ken ,much safer & less hassle to drive with the convenience of having all your necessary kit with you mate.
05-09-2015, 07:58 PM
RE: Many Thanks - Top Travel Tips
(05-05-2015 09:51 PM)Bob Sheppard Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 11:54 AM)Ken Hannah Wrote:  Dear All,

Be warned!

So much for "Ryan air" Ken ,much safer & less hassle to drive with the convenience of having all your necessary kit with you mate.

Long way to central France from East Anglian by car Bob......cost of petrol v air fare! Mind you by train could be better....our friend Hilary came here (prior to reunion) by train (Eurostar - Paris via London to Ipswich) for £32....how come we can't do that in reverse....BR take note....or not!

Bob, to you do mail order for your honey....'her in doors' has 'finished' your honey purchased at Stoke and would like some more?

Take care
Regards
Ken